Wednesday 3 April 2013

34 weeks



Woah! So, at this point the weeks are flying by. We started our NCT classes last week and wow it has given us a kick in the bum. We had lots of bits sorted but we quickly realised we needed to tie up other loose ends and get the last few bits and pack THE bag.

I know people have mixed views on the NCT classes but we have found them so useful. It is nice to have friends nearby going through the exact same thing. We found the classes to be packed full of great information and have been a great reassurance to us, all the possible concerns or worries are discussed and we feel much calmer and better prepared. I also really liked that the dads were so involved. A lot of dads I know want to be involved in pregnancy and the birth, want to ask questions and understand what is happening but so often are shut out by old-fashioned attitudes, which is so sad. At the NCT the dads play an active role and are invited to ask questions and contribute their fears, anxieties and the things they are looking forward to. Our tutor was also fabulous at explaining and defining their role as supporter, what is expected of them and even what they should pack in their hospital man-bag - things like food, to maintain a stable mood!

I said before that I was worried about slowing down, that is definitely happening now. I've definitely got my waddle on and more upsetting is that my legs have started to mottle, swell and have gone a nice red shade. None of my friends have experienced this so it was a little surprise. Midwife says all very normal and should go away after the birth.

It's also very difficult to get a good night's sleep, with all the loo-trips! I hear this is good practice for when the baby is here. 

I now try to avoid overly-luxurious low sofas/seats because unless there is a crane nearby or a strong man, it is almost impossible to get up again. Mum recently tried to pull me out of a sofa, she almost went over my head and behind it!

Another thing I have noticed is that you become a messy eater in the third trimester, no, not because you are so hungry you eat like Fantastic Mr Fox (that was the second trimester), but because your bump puts you further away from the table. This is no big deal at home as I tend to hold plate/bowl with hand or rest on bump so nearer to mouth, but you can't do that in all situations. The forkful of food has a further distance to travel from plate, over bump and to mouth. My washing has increased a lot because of this and I have started to travel with little stain remover wipes because of the number of accidents. After mealtimes I really start to resemble Jim Royale, the swollen belly with stained clothing! Clio has also become wise to the bump ledge, that gathers crumbs. Whenever, I sit next to her she gives the bump a once over just incase I missed a stray crumb. 

The baby's room is almost ready. Having fun arranging...and rearranging the bits and bobs I have been collecting. We have also been having a lot of date nights, as strongly recommended by ALL my parent friends. This has been really nice, making the most of our last few weeks as a duo. Now most of the work is done on the house, we've also been really enjoying lazy Sundays with food, films and duvet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...