Thursday 10 January 2013

Family recipe folder

This was an idea I have taken from my dear friend Amy (whom I am trying to convince to set up her own  blog - it would be beautiful). For years, my recipes (a mix of photocopies, pages torn from magazines, hand written family heirloom recipes, post-its and scraps of paper) have all been kept in a pile in the kitchen drawer or on a shelf. I wanted to keep them all together and Amy's clever idea keeps them together but in a way that you want to constantly take down from the shelf and look at. It's also really easy to do.

It's just an A4 ring binder that I have covered in old family and friend's recipes, using PVA glue. Inside I have used plastic sleeves to protect the recipes and unlike a recipe book, it's so easy to add new ones without having to hand write them into a book (which is beautiful if you have the time). I have done this for a few special recipes; from relatives no longer with us, ones that we have cooked for special occasions or just ones that we love.

You will need:
A4 ring binder - the papery ones are better then the plastic.
Selection of family/hand written recipes (you don't have to but I like to see family member's handwriting all over it, the stains and the scribbled shopping lists, I look at it all the time) take copies, and keep original in file and PVA the copy.
Paint brush
PVA glue

Take time to layout your recipes, play around with them until you are happy. Mix up some PVA glue with a little water and start to paint on your recipes, the glue will dry clear. Slightly thicker paper/card will need quite a lot of glue, you kind of want to soak those ones. Stand up and fold on newspaper, if not the recipes will tear on the folds when you do eventually fold the folder. Cut out the spaces for the holes on front and side. Cut along the sides for a neat finish.









It's one of my favourite things in the kitchen. It has also encouraged me to share hand written recipes with family and friends. It is more then a folder of recipes, it's a little bit of family history.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...